SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday 21 June 2015

Cookie-Dough Truffles



I've always been one for licking the bowl and tasting (as all good chefs should) along the way, even when there is raw egg involved it doesn't seem to stop me. (I know I probably shouldn't but it hasn't harmed so far!) 


In my personal opinion, I think it's one of the best things about baking! Ever since I was little, I would always sneak a bit of pastry mixture out of the bowl when my Grandma wasn't looking, to be honest, pastry mixture isn't even one of the tastiest things to have when compared to some chocolate cake batter but still, there is something rather satisfying about it. 

Eating raw cookie dough is one of those things (as you can imagine) that appeals to me - massively! So the idea of making them into a truffle filling is just genius. This time there's no egg involved, completely safe. 

I have made them once before a year or two back, I probably made them a bit too big in hindsight because you only really need a couple, anything more and they become sickly due to their sheer indulgence. 


So this time, I tried adapting a different recipe and shaped them slightly smaller. I think I mastered the chocolate dipping stage this time.  I started off with a skewer, dunking them into a cooled, deep bowl of melted chocolate, but soon, after a few sunken mishaps which involved losing the ball in what seemed like a pool of chocolate, I realised that this just wasn't going to work. Sigh!

I resorted to my fingers ( I know all you master chocolatiers will roll your eyes and sneer but I don't care), I'm not ashamed to say it - it worked perfectly fine and  to lick my chocolatey hands afterwards was an added bonus too! So feel free to use your hands, no one here is judging you on your chocolatier skills...


The white chocolate drizzle is optional but I think it gives them a more decorative look, if you're not feeling the white, why not go for dark chocolate instead, get creative and pipe individual letters when lined up to spell out a message if it's a gift for someone or do cute little hearts for a loved one. 


Cookie- Dough Truffles

This recipe was adapted from I Heart Nap Time.

Ingredients


Makes about 23 truffles

100g butter, softened
80g soft light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
160g plain flour
100g milk chocolate chips
200g milk chocolate (for coating)
40g white chocolate (optional) 

Method


Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla extract then once all combined and light and fluffy, add the flour and chocolate chips. Stir until thoroughly blended. 

Make 1 inch balls with the cookie dough and place onto the prepared baking tray. Place the tray with the cookie dough balls into the freezer to firm up for 30 minutes. 

Meanwhile melt the chocolate for coating, either in a bowl in the microwave on a low setting or over a pan of simmering water. Make sure you melt or pour the melted chocolate into a deep bowl so it makes it easier to coat the balls. Leave the chocolate to cool.

Once the cookie dough balls have firmed up, dip them into the melted chocolate, you could use a fork, skewer or just use your fingers like I did if you don't mind getting messy. Tap off any excess chocolate and place back onto the lined baking tray. Once all truffles are coated melt the white chocolate (optional) and pour into a small piping bag with a tiny hole cut/small nozzle. Pipe a desired pattern onto the truffles and then place into the fridge to set completely. Store the truffles in the fridge.  

Post a Comment