SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday 29 September 2017

Blueberry Cinnamon Waffle Pudding

With being back to the daily grind of coming home from uni and cooking for myself on the reg means I don't bake desserts and sweet treats as much as I would if I was at home, where I get the luxury of my mum cooking meals for me. Don't get me wrong, I don't find cooking for myself a chore, I doooo still enjoy the rather relaxing nature of coming home after a full day of lectures and just experimenting with foods that I wouldn't normally have at home; like tonight's stuffed squash with quinoa, wheat berries and feta (fyi think I'll most definitely be doing that one as a future blog post, it turned out soooo well!)



Anyway, digressed there... so, back to the subject of sweet treats, I don't make them as much but when I do, I go to town!!! THIS blueberry cinnamon waffle pudding isn't a faff to make, it really is so simple to prepare which is probably why I made it in the first place - not afraid to say it! Yes we all  have busy lives and if I can buy pre-made waffles and just skip out a process, then so be it, because when you're soaking them in all that lovely thick, cinnamon custard, I don't think people would be able to notice either way. Although, if you were in the mood to go all out and make your own, then go for it (I'm slightly jealous if you did to be honest, that means you have a waffle machine and I really want one!)

Essentially, this is just a better, more luxurious version of a bread and butter pudding made with waffles instead. Other complementary fruits such as strawberries or even banana would work nicely and to save time, this could be made the night before, leave the waffles soaking in the fridge and then simply bake when needed.

Blueberry Cinnamon Waffle Pudding


Ingredients:


(Serves 4)


Butter, softened for greasing
10 egg waffles (approx. 215g of shop-bought)
150g blueberries, fresh or frozen
200ml whole milk
200ml double cream, plus extra for serving
2 medium eggs
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
2 tbsp light muscovado sugar

Method:


Grease a small-sized high sided roasting tray or pie dish with a little butter. Place the waffles into the dish in whatever way they all fit. Scatter the blueberries all over the waffles, tucking some behind the waffles so that they aren’t all on top.

Beat together the milk, cream, eggs, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl until well combined and pour over the waffles. Leave the custard to soak into the waffles for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°/gas mark 4.

After the soaking time, crumble the sugar evenly over the waffles and bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown and the custard still has a little wobble. Allow to cool slightly before serving warm with lashings of cream or ice cream. 

1 comment :