SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday 6 November 2016

Sweet Potato, Cheese and Chorizo Muffins

These muffins are so delicious and filling for breakfast. I make a batch of  12 and enjoy 2 per portion, just warming them up in the microwave as and when I have them.


I adapted the recipe from Jamie Oliver's 'Everyday Super Food' book which I'm getting more and more into now that I'm at uni and cooking for myself every night. I'm even sticking to the whole plan your weekly meals out before I go for my food shop thingy. Some say it doesn't last and you'll fall out of the habit, as I'll admit... it does take more time to sit down and think through what you're going to cook, but it's worth it in my opinion and I've not slipped up on a week, well, as of yet!!

Firstly, I'm saving money because I'm not just buying what I see first off the shelf and buying more than actually need. Secondly, it means I don't fall into that dreaded cooking rut. Cooking the same thing week in, week out. Although I've had to cut down on my cookbook shelf (leaving at least half of the books I own at home - I know, so sad) it means I spend time searching and reading through for new recipes so I still get excited to get back and cook it after a long day at uni, which would otherwise be a boring chore - especially since I cook at uni as well. 

One of my first semester modules is based around nutrition and so I'll gladly tell you that these muffins are an excellent source of vitamin C - from the sweet potatoes. This helps us to maintain healthy connective tissue. It's also a powerful antioxidant and is involved with preventing damage to the body by free radicals. The eggs, cheese and seeds give us protein to set you up for the day, keeping us feeling fuller till lunchtime. I kinda did spoil the whole 'healthy' superfood approach though because I did adapt the recipe to include chorizo, but I suppose it's a small amount altogether anyway and so there's not a great deal in it per muffin. It's more just about the flavour here since I didn't want all the chilli heat that Jamie included in his. (Just can't handle spicy things.) But feel free to chop up 1-2 fresh chillies and sprinkle over the top for added heat. I opted for a more smoky flavour instead with paprika to complement the chorizo. 





Sweet Potato,  Cheese  and  Chorizo  Muffins

Makes 12 Muffins

Ingredients:

Olive oil
600g sweet potato
4 spring onions
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp mild chilli powder
6 large eggs
3 tbsp cottage cheese
250g self-raising flour
50g Gouda cheese
salt and pepper
50g cured meat (I used a mix of serrano ham, chorizo regio, chorizo pamplona)
2 tsp sunflower seeds
1 tsp poppy seeds
1 tsp pumpkin seeds

Method


Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases or make your own by cutting 15 cm squares out of greaseproof paper. Lightly wipe each one with a piece of oiled kitchen paper, or alternatively use an oil spray. 

Peel the sweet potatoes and coarsely grate into a bowl. You could use a food processor for convenience with the grater attachment if you have one. Trim the spring onions and finely slice, add to the bowl. Sprinkle the spices into the bowl along with the eggs, cottage cheese and flour. Grate the gouda and add most to the bowl, reserving some for the topping. Season with salt and pepper. Finely slice the cured meat into pieces and add to the bowl. Mix until all evenly combined. Divide the mixture between the 12 cases and sprinkle the seeds and remaining gouda cheese over the tops. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until golden and set. 

These are best served warm, 5 minutes after taking out of the oven. The ones you don't eat should be left to cool on a wire rack and can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple of days. 

Post a Comment