SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday 9 May 2015

Rhubarb and Strawberry Nutty Oaty Crumble


It's officially rhubarb season and what better way to celebrate with a good old crumble. I can often find that rhubarb is a bit too tart for me (you know the one where you have to purse your lips together - resembling a selfie pout?!) so that's why I've added strawberries for a bit more sweetness and what a match made in heaven it is...also peaking at their best just recently I've noticed - tender and juicy plus a reason why not to add lots of sugar to this recipe.




I have to say that the ratio of fruit to crumble can cause arguments in our household, and I'm sure we're not the only ones either?! I like A LOT of crumble, and I know people will disagree with me on that and say NO - the fruit is supposed to be the star of the pudding, but I can't help it... that's just how I like it and so that's how I am going to make it!! (sassy eh?)


Anyhow, this isn't any bog-standard, plain-old school dinner yuckiness  - this is a sophisticated crumble, a topping that has texture and one heck of a crunch, I'm talkin' oats, flaked almonds and demerara sugar...all baked to golden perfection.

 


I like to serve my crumble with some proper homemade custard (yes that's right no powder packets here) it's well worth the little extra effort and I do admit that I'm with Delia Smith on this one, we all like to do a little bit of cheating here and there by using 1 teaspoon of cornflour. But it does save yourself the bother of panicking over a hot stove and thinking when will it ever thicken and stabilise? 


I think fruit crumble has got to be one of those ultimate comfort foods, especially for us in Great Britain, we're quite well known for it and it pleases those of all ages, young and old! My Grandma loves crumble and she loves rhubarb. So this is just her idea of a great dessert. 

Rhubarb  and  Strawberry  Nutty  Oaty  Crumble

Ingredients:

(Serves 4-6)


125g plain flour
50g porridge oats
50g flaked almonds
75g butter
100g demerara sugar + 3 tablespoons extra 
425g trimmed tender young rhubarb stems (about 4)
200g strawberries,  hulled
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon water

Method

Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ gas 4. Mix the flour, oats and half of the flaked almonds in a large bowl and then add the butter and rub together with your fingertips until you have coarse crumbs. Stir in the sugar and then put to one side.

Rinse the rhubarb and cut across into 2cm pieces. Wash the strawberries and leave small ones whole, halve medium sized ones and quarter any giant berries. Add them to a medium sized pan along with the chopped rhubarb and sprinkle 3 tablespoons of demerara sugar and then the water. Finally add the ground ginger and heat over a very low heat for about 10 minutes until the fruits are just starting to release their juices and begin to soften slightly. Don't let them go to mush. Pour the fruits along with their juices into a large, shallow ovenproof baking dish and then scatter over the crumble topping along with the 25g of flaked almonds leftover. Then bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, until the top turns a good golden colour. Leave the crumble to stand for 10-15 minutes and serve with custard or ice cream. 

Just thought I'd give you Delia's recipe for custard which is my fail-safe go to for any pudding in need of a little 'sauciness'. 

Delia   Smith's   Custard 

Ingredients:

275ml double or single cream
3 eggs yolks
1 teaspoon cornflour
1 tablespoon caster sugar
2 drops vanilla extract

Method

First heat the cream in a small saucepan up to boiling point; and while it's heating thoroughly whisk the egg yolks, cornflour, sugar and vanilla together in a small bowl. Then pour the hot cream in -stirring all the time - and return the mixture to the saucepan. Heat very gently (still stirring) until the sauce has thickened, which should only take a minute or two.

4 comments :

  1. This sounds amazing! I love lots of crumble too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks gorgeous and I already have most ingredients in the cupboard anyway! That's my afternoon sorted :) x

    Creamteaandrosejam.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Thanks! I love your blog by the way, thanks for the link x

      Delete